Friday, December 14, 2007

Once Bitten...

From Carly

Strangely even to me, when I was two or three, they tell me, I would bite people. Until one day my cousin bit me back. I don't remember the event, but it must have taught me an early lesson, do unto others.

Though now I adhere to "non-action", I still carry the trait and don't understand it, but I am much more careful about biting someone. Maybe it's because I was born in the Year of the Monkey (the monkey sits in the tree and throws peanuts at the elephants). Or maybe it's because, my astrologer says, I have a strong Mars influence in a certain place which causes me to surprise attack. It amazes me that it is quite involuntary and one must be prepared or certain of the other before applying satire or acerbic action. They might retaliate and throw a drinking cup at one.

Lessons learned are best put by Nietzsche, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." and an old proverb, "Anger without power is folly." But both aren't quite the lesson. I would say, 'That which does not kill us makes us more sensitive.' and 'Action without power is folly.'

Also, the silver lining in this dark Martian cloud is that at least I am not detached from life and strongly care enough to speak up if the time is right.

No comments: